Author Topic: 4d website front page  (Read 7943 times)

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
4d website front page
« on: January 26, 2010, 01:56:27 pm »
I'm all for having a blog as part of the front page of 4dimensions.org, but could someone update it?  I know theres not a lot going on right now (if anything) to update it with, but if we're trying to attract people, i dont know if something from last Halloween is really the first thing that should be there :P Maybe someone could write a short blurb about the upcoming changes, and how they're gonna be super cool... just SOMETHING that doesnt make it look like nothings going on.

Just a though...

Asmo

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 4d website front page
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:39:45 pm »
Yeah, I tried to update it like a month ago, but the front page didn't like what I was trying to do, so I removed it.  I agree that a change is needed, but not knowing 100% what's going on, I don't feel it's in my ability to change the front page to the changes that are coming up.  Yeah, I have a strong idea.  Yeah, I've talked to a lot of people and have gotten a lot of information out of those in the know.  But I"m not going to write something up and then have it be wrong even in the littlest detail (that would look bad).  I know that Molly and Di are busy with the changes going on eq wise and, well, you know Anubis is busy with the code.  Also, I don't have a new area going in which is usually the only time I touch the front page anyway.  *heh*

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:48:22 am »
I too have tried updating the page, and giving it up, because after some changes Mordecai did to it, I am not comfortable working with it. The format messes up badly each time I try, so I end up not saving what I wrote, for fear of screwing things up irreversively, since apparently there still isn't any backup of the website.

Perhaps Diandra, who seems to be the only one savvy with the present format, could post some instructions how to do it here on the Forum. She did mail the instructions to me, but in my computer changing mess the mail got lost.

Or maybe Mordecai could change it back to the way the blog used to work, which was a lot easier to work with. :P

As for the real issue, the update on the code change, we are planning to post some info as soon as Anubis finishes the documentation. Which I gather will be very soon, maybe within a week.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:04 pm »
Hesara obligingly resent me the explanation, so to make sure I don't lose it again, I'll post it here:

Mordecai did an update on the website some time ago.

The update added a row of small buttons above the textbox that you can use to format the text you've entered without having to know the html-code. If you press the code-button you'll see the text in html-mode.

If you edit pages now you have to be careful in what mode you edit them.  For instance if you just copy and paste them to wordpad and then copy them back to the page you're editing the whole format will be gone.

Best thing to do when editing a page is press the code-button above the textbox, copy the whole thing in html-code in wordpad; make the changes you need, copy/add the html-code where necessary in the things you've added and then copy it back to the edited page making sure you're still in the code-edit-mode.

And BEFORE you publish, look at the preview and see how it looks. If it shows up screwed up, don't publish it just re-edit until it looks good.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »
WOOHOO for the update!

Thanks Molly!