Author Topic: GM Skills  (Read 9436 times)

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
GM Skills
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:33:56 pm »
So I just found this out that brace and parry were taken out of the GM skill list, and was urged to make a forum post about all this, so here I am.  I just want to figure out why this happened, and try to get them put back in.  The perk to being a GM is that you're to have all T1/T2 skills and spells, so it doesn't make sense to me to just take them out.  Not to mention i love brace and parry and was relieved to know I'd always have them on my side to help me sleep at night.  So... yeah, any thoughts?  Perhaps a reason they were removed?

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
Re: GM Skills
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:34:25 am »
GM caster with brace was overpowered.  Actually so was GM rogue with brace, phase, and dodge.  Pretty sure Virisin would have something to say about this too, since I thiiiiink he was the one who advocated the change. I actually don't remember if he was.  I just remember him talking about mana shield being overpowered as a GM skill a long long time ago.

As for parry, that one is news to me.  Then again, I hardly played any GM rogues.
aka graham

Offline Lyri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:29:55 am »
I'm too new to speak to whether or not specific skills should be excluded for GMs, but if any tier 1/2 skills/spells are specifically excluded they should be listed in the grandmaster help file.  It may make a difference in one's decision to go for GM or not. 

Searched the forums and found discussion about it in Suggestions & Ideas > Some Skills and Suggestions & Ideas > Moving of skills/spells to cater to GM's, both threads from 2008.  If it hadn't come up recently, I would never have known it was something to search for.  Wouldn't be nice to go all that way and then get a "surprise."

Offline Diandra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:02:02 pm »
If someone gives me a list if which skills/spells (next to brace and parry) have been removed from the GM skill list, I'll adjust the helpfile.

Thanks for pointing this out Lyri.

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:21:41 pm »
Caster or Rogues GM with Brace/Parry and dodge phase....
were just crazy.. Asmodeus... i can't even think of something to say to you..
you must've lived in a cave..

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:54:16 pm »
Mana shield was also changed from GM and made to be self only instead of target.

Prometheus

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:57 pm »
When it came to leveling/remorting, i pretty much have been in a cave for years until about a week ago... imagine my shock that one of my favorite skills was missing :p

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:06:21 pm »
I dont get it, GM is overpowered anyways, so to use a metaphor, if you are already breaking the law by driving at 120MPH, you might as well go 130 or even 140MPH.

So to simplify the help file, give Asmo all the T1 and T2 skills/spells back. Then the helpfile can say, for GMs named Asmodeus, you get all T1 and T2 skills and spells from all classes! See how simple the helpfile will be?

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »
i was with you up until talking about me specifically... may as well leave the help file the way it is and just give everyone back brace and parry ;)

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 01:51:55 pm »
You know. GM was supposed to be the ultimate class. It was how it was designed. What it comes down to is that people are too lazy to bother GMing, and unless you're Virisin, Exodus, Azreal, or Jason who really don't even NEED GM to kick ass, then you're not going to beat GM's anyhow.

GM get's balanced out by GOOD players, who QUEST. They have PLANNED their stats properly. You don't like it as a non-gm not willing to put in the work? Tough noogies.

GM's should get everything they lost back. Period. Why? Because we didn't get the new system to make life worth while in 4D, so might as well continue to stagnation that is our system, and stop complaingin about "gm's are overpowered." because obviously it really doesn't matter. I mean, if it did then there would have been greater support for a new system which was greatly lacked by all tiers of players.

You guys missed out.

Return GMs their rights to r4w 5k!llz
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!