Author Topic: "Affectables"  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Once

• View Profile
"Affectables"
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:33:48 am »
Hey guys,

Here's a post from my old mud's design forum that I just happened to stumble upon that I thought might be valuable here. I've pasted it in it's entirety below even though it's a little out of context out of the hope that some of you may find it useful in thinking about how skills can be shaped/designed. The idea here is that a skill, spell, or affect does not just need to be purely about causing damage or reducing damage. There's a lot of areas that we can affect a player/mob in that will lead to increased tactics and more interesting gameplay.

As a way of trying to foster some ideas, why don't you guys post one or two skill or spell ideas in this thread that do something other than (or in addition to) increasing or decreasing damage? Winner after a week gets a silver token from me in game.

----START OF POST----

Those of you that've heard my combat rants in the past may recall a particular one about "vectors of affect". This thread covers that initial concept as well as delving into a few possibilities for such a system. What I'm looking for in this thread is ideas on different affectables, as well as constructive criticism on ones that are suggested. I'd like to get as many ideas out first before we criticize though, that way we have a bigger well to draw from when we go to implement.

Affectables are pretty well what the name implies, things that may be affected in some way. These can be as basic as stats such as hitroll, damroll, strength, int, mana, etc. They can also be a bit more abstract such as range, movement speed, or even stationary descriptions.

Blind is a good example of an interesting affectable. Blind mostly affects stationary descriptions and interaction with objects. You can tell when someone does something often from the "Someone" message while blind or while they're invis, but you can't interact with it too easily (besides area attacks). This can be used in interesting ways and is really an intriguing affectable. But just blind on its own does not make a combat system.

What other affectables can you come up with? What other new things could we allow players/mobs to manipulate, or add onto weapon skills, magic, etc? These can be for both mobs and players. Here's a few of my own ideas:

Range
Movement Speed
Success in Movement
Ability to Wear/Remove
Ability to Target
Ability to Flee
Clearing of Foe's Command Queue (lagged commands)
Randomizing Foe's Command Queue (this could be interesting)
Ability to Modify Foe's Position (Sitting, Sleeping, etc)
Modifying Encumberance
Modifying Casting Percent
Modifying Casting Ability
Damage Over Time
Damage based on Actions (Hamstring someone and kicks could cause bonus damage to them too)
Limb Removal (removes use of a weapon or skill)
Skill Removal or Disincentives (think wounds opening from skill usage)
Complete Combat Halt (Currently Stunning)
Randomized Round Halts (Pixie Lights)
Occasional Casting Failure (Daze)
Randomizing Foe's Target
Affect Opponent's Scan distance
Affect Opponent's judgement of your HP%
Add a command to your Foe's Command Queue
Affect the amount of N/PC's your Foe can see. (Capped at 2, everything else would seem invisible, but he wouldn't even know)
Ability to see entrances/exits into a room
Ability to see the direction of a flee
Ability to fake the direction of a flee purposefully or randomly
Ability to fake HP%
Ability to affect usage of combat commands
Ability to affect usage of non-combat commands
Ability to send fake echos to Foe.
Ability to hit foe with fake attacks that send a fake prompt representing attacks
Ability to change foe's room
Ability to change the directions a foe walks
Ability to restrict Foe's movement.
Ability to restrict foe's ability to attack
Ability to restrict Foe's ability to command, or use communication such as grouptell, order, tell, say, etc.
Ability to disguise your long desc (message in room).
Ability to modify your foe's long desc. (Gadwin is here turns into the wandering thief's desc)
Ability to affect your foe's item usage.
Ability to affect your foe's usage of containers. (hmm, I like this one)

New affectable ideas:

Ability to disable an item's stats temporarily. (killing the damroll/ac of your gear)
Ability to make heals cause damage
Ability to make vitalize affect hp
Ability to modify mana/stamina.
Ability to turn followers on their master.
Ability to create "Displacements" or "Mirror Images" which take a certain number of hits before they fully disappear.
Ability to create a shield which takes a certain amount of damage before it disappears.
Ability to reverse regen (turn the positive negative)
Ability to deal fixed damage for each hit received (penalizing low damage speed).

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:13:37 pm by Once »

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Affectables"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:50:16 am »
Cool that's really useful  :)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:01:49 am »
This is a great post:

We have very average ranged weapons and a semi-working ranged spells code, so range is something I'd want to think more about as we better implemented those systems.

Movement speed is a good one, hamstring is something that should make it really slow to walk.

Ability to Wear/Remove - this is another good one that could be linked to Curse or something.

Ability to target: smokescreen, gouge, flash of light, etc.

Ability to flee: snare, hold person

Clearing of Foe's command queue: THIS IS GREAT and would be epic for an Esper.

Randomizing Foe's Command Queue: THIS IS GREAT and would be even epicer for an Esper.

Modifying Foe's position: bash, grapple, charge, trip, sweet dreams, sleep, (why are there two sleep spells)

Modifying encumberance: this is another cool skill or spell that Espers could get.

Damage over time: slit, strangle, poison, burning hands, etc.

Damage based on action: hamstring -> kick increase would be great. slit -> poison etc.

Others can have a turn. You can almost see how Esper would have some really cool evasive + debuff moves, Rangers would be good at fighting but slower in fight pace: damage over time type moves. etc.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »
Added a couple new ones to the list up top as food for thought.

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »
Ability to make victim see random surrounding rooms rather than current room (like scan only forced and less temporary) (this could effectively make caster invisible to victim and would screw up victims sense of direction)

Ability to confuse the victim's directions (so player types south but goes north)

Ability to force victim to follow caster (great for many reasons, one of which is, when grouped, the leader can hit follower but not the other way around)

Ability to remove weapons/focus/etc from victims's body during battle and put it into victim's inventory (alot like removing limb)

Ability to make victim see casters' clones that aren't there (so they cannot be killed, although they also cannot attack)

Ability to turn victim's pets, clones, etc against them

Redirect victims attack to victim for a period of time.

Ability to remove vicitm's protect spells and take them for oneself.

Temporary ability to use all your available skills/spells without switching out focus items/weapons

Cause victim to flee

Ability to change element of caster (would disable certain spells on victims, would allow for caster to have different specialties... so could be a pro or con)

Ability to temporarily disable certain spells (if cast right, could cripple priests, for instance)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:57:02 pm by Loria »
I get my energy from my Inner G.

Offline Riley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:12:11 pm »
Ability to make victim see random surrounding rooms rather than current room (like scan only forced and less temporary) (this could effectively make caster invisible to victim and would screw up victims sense of direction)

Ability to confuse the victim's directions (so player types south but goes north)

It's all fun and games till someone complains to an imm that they walked into a DT.

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:17:25 pm »
It's all fun and games till someone complains to an imm that they walked into a DT.

*evil grin*

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:43:40 pm »

This could be set to specifically not make them walk into DTs. Or to not make them walk into DTs unless both players are PK, or the like. But let's not get too sidetracked here.

The central topic of this thread/conversation should be about coming up with cool spells, skills, or affects based on stuff other than just increased damage or decreased damage. Virisin got us off to a good start, look forward to other ideas you guys have.

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 03:12:09 pm »
Ability for a caster to steal another caster's focus multiplier (like life suck only with focus multiplier)