Author Topic: Esper  (Read 6761 times)

Offline alpha

• View Profile
    • Email
Esper
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:15 am »
I propose a very minor fix for a very major problem ive encountered for too long.
I have been every class more times than most, ive played for a long time and one frustrating thing i keep finding is our espers.
I love my spellcasting classes but everyone has a there elemental strength and weakness and has damage and buff spells to match.

Mage -> fire -> fire elemental -> burning hands -> fireball -> mind fire -> flame arrow -> flame arrow

these are manipulatable through control weather which is great!

Priest -> lightning -> call lightning -> shocking grasp -> lightning bolt -> chain lightning ->
Again manipulatable by control weather and the results are seemingly far better than mage. Great again, i like these elemental systems.

but then you stumble into esper.. Spirit and Mind.. here i am an esper again for the billianth time, as i like a bit of variance
but what i re-discover, to my dismay, is esper still does not have an elemental use.. control weather is pointless for an esper to even have,
minus the fact that i will use control weather and then couple it with using another classes traits eg when in battle ill use control weather better and use fireball/flame arrow
or control weather worse and use acid arrow (when raining) or shocking grasp/call lightning (when stormy)

But wheres the bonus to being an esper? i can put things to sleep and give them a nightmare with sever timers in place and only before a fight?
this seems hardly a reason to being an esper? there is actually only one attack spell that can be used during combat that is intune with an espers elemental strengths..
and thats mana blast.. and well thats great, i notice prom bumped up the strength on it abit quite a while back, which is great as its meant to be the end all of all spells.
But whats the point in an esper waiting to lvl 50 to use a spell that only people with "alphas" kind of mana points will make use of ? not to mention this is near pointless
if your trying to remort or level in general?

I propose we create 2-3 new spells for esper just to give the class some sort of style and usefullness..

not that i have these spells set in stone or i have even thought about them properly but something along the lines of..

Spirit Mind (mind fire/mind water equivilant)
Mental blast -> area attack using either spirit or mind as elemental strength
Thought Lash -> singular attack that can do decent damage such as fireball that could be coupled with Spirit mind.

This also brings into context the fact that esper has no great use for control weather, unless of course you were to couple better or worse weather as giving a + bonus to spirit and mind
which seems to be the easiest solution to that if you were to implement these new additions to esper.

I hope youll consider this as right now as far as combat and clan leadership go if you want to be a spellcaster you either have to be mage or priest or be deemed useless and defenseless.

just remember Esper has the lowest HP of any class.. and what reward do you get for this?

(also please forgive structuring and gramma in this post i have a guy fixing my dishwasher to my left and 3 kids on my right focus is not huge right now)

-Alpha
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:37:36 pm by Prometheus »

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
Re: Es[er
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 02:10:40 am »
GM esper is the strongest GM caster.  Assuming nothing too big has changed since I last saw it.

Granted, it only becomes strongest because GM lets them learn a T1 priest-only spell.

Try evil-eye on self, and casting harm.  Should be decent on neutral alignment mobs.
aka graham

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Esper
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:00:16 am »
Esper are suppose to be designed around spirit and mind, but currently lack any arsenal of spells that follow those elemental types.

I picture Esper as being more of an evasive type of caster. He casts spells that weakens and hinders his opponent, and gives him advantages over opponent, then uses Damage over Time spells and carries a small supply  of weak arsenal spells. Maybe let them have one big spell. I also picture esper more as a evil role. They might not deal out the most magic damage, but survivability is their specialty.

My idea of a basic fight with Espers is. Weaken Mob, Suffocate , Dot, weak spells to kill it, have a heal and one strong spell as backup with delays.

Espers would get their biggest ulti bonus at night and a small bonus for cloudy weather considering clouds would also darken the area by a little bit.

So I would agree with Alpha. Id say lets remove some spells and add new ones to take their space that are Spirit and Mind.

1. Give them Mind Spirit bonus damage with spirit spells. Now both Mind Fire and Mind Ice are Tier 4 spells, and Mind Electric is Tier 3. So im thinking of either Making it tier 3 or moving them all up to tier 4? Or all down to tier 3? Not sure.

2. A spell Ive been thinking on that would be neat would be a "Life Suck" or "Soul Suck". Drains targets HP, and restores your HP. Evil Aligned Spirit Based. Mid tier4, delay(30-60secs). Basically comparable to heal but with delay if you have on Mind Spirit and or cloudy weather.

3. Also adding Damage over times spells. Espers currently have two spells that are the same thing. Nightmare, and Psi Panic. Both cause target to flee in horror.

Lets change Nightmare into a DoT spell.

You channel your mind into the mind of your opponent and fill it with horrific
images of blood, gore and death - its own death! If successful you can cause
your opponent to cause their nightmares to come to life and do damage over the course of the battle.
(Possibly with having a chance to give you an extra chance to attack when it does its damage. So it also can play as a type of weaken spell; Or possibly causing targets next spell/skill used to backfire.)

delay(45-60 seconds), Ulti for darkness, Mind based, Mid Tier 3, Damage lower or equivalent to magic missile. Just depends how fast the Dot spell works.

4. We also run into another 2 spells that do the same thing. Hold Person, and Paralyze. Now according to help file paralyze you can run away from with trap aware? What about hold person? Is that why there is a delay on hold person? I would need to see more info on these before I could give any ideas here on this.

5. I might say leave mana blast they way it is maybe lowering the level req / mana consumption a little to have as a OH SHIT spell.

6. Just an idea, be cool to see some type of spell that affects the whole room that gives a chance to make aggro mobs flee if they try to attack you first. More of a Support type spell, like a crowd control spell?

7. I think energy drain is a joke the way it is now, I rather see it deplete targets moves over time, slowing them down? Spirit Based, mid tier 4.

8. Bring in Alpha idea of a area attack, Mental blast. Mind, Tier 3.

You channel into the mind of your opponents around you causing them shriek in pain.

9. Bring in a spirit based spell equivalent to magic missile

Ex Spirit Call
 You call on your ancestors spirits to attack your opponents soul.

10. Bring in a Mind based spell evil alignment does slightly more damage flat out then the spirit spell with something that forces the opponent to make a saving throw if not, gain an extra attack. If you fail they gain an extra attack?

Torment

Ex You try to channel thoughts of torment into your opponents mind causing damage. If the opponent can block you from entering their mind the thoughts of torment attack your mind causing them enough time to land an extra attack. If you enter their mind they must throw a saving throw to avoid you gaining an extra attack.

8. Now Id say lets strip some spells from them.
 a. Remove Demonshriek( says its suppose to be priests best spell?)
 b. Remove Flame Arrow
 c. Remove Burning Skull
 d. Remove Shocking Grasp
 e. Remove Mind Electric and Water

So in the end we would have the following for Espers

Support Spells

Strength
Static Shield
Crowd Control type spell?(New spell)
Mind Spirit(New Spell)
Control Weather(remember clouds would cause a smaller ulti on spirit and mind)
Evil Eye
Phase
Fortify Body
Fortify Mind
Forsee
Static Shield
Shield
SteelSkin
life transfer
haste
Drunk(?)
Armor

Weaken Spells

Slowness
Numb Mind
Dispel Sanc
Confuse
Energy Drain(If changed)
Nightmare(If changed)
Suffocate
Cone of cold(weaken/offensive)
Chill Touch(weaken/offensive)
Poison(crap in battle?)

Offensive Spells

Life Suck(New Spell)(Offensive,Support)
NIghtmare(If changed DoT)
A basic spirit attack like magic missile(late tier 2, early tier 3) Maybe weaker then magic missile?                               
A little stronger mind spell(over the spirit attack)(evil align only, tier 4)
magic missile
Cone of Cold
Chill touch
Mana Blast
Mental Blast(New spell, like earthquake)

Plus the rest of the other odds and ends spells they have

create food and such.

Obviously this is the end goal that I would like to see Espers at, but it would need testing and I wouldn't jump in, do the changes small to allow testing.

In my eyes I see the casters as following

Mage(Big Damage flat out)
Esper( Evasive, weaken opponent, Dot, weakest damage spells, Survivability)
Priest(Evil align Big Damage, small support; Good align big Support, weak damage)

Im slowly working on the skill trees, so my ideas for how I would see mage or priest will be kinda tied into that.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:28:58 am by Bane »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Esper
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:45:26 am »
Perk tree's are better than skill trees