Author Topic: 4D Wiki entry  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Pix

• View Profile
4D Wiki entry
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:51 pm »
I was talking to Once, and came up with an idea of a 4D wikipedia entry.

This entry should have lots of references so it won't be deleted by Wikipedia volunteers.

Idea: Players / Imms to post paragraphs of 4D history / references / etc, and then after a week or so, consolidate to Wikipedia. Good to give as many references as possible.

Possible references so far: Molly's articles on twinks / etc, awards won, zones which are historically accurate (Egypt, Greece), zones which are modelled after books (eg Keith Laumer's Retief), classics (Jekyll & Hyde / Sherlock Holmes), maybe if players are already on Wiki for another entry or famous can also put them in as famous people playing 4D. Etc etc etc.

To do: Players / Imms (particularly the old ones) to write history of 4D and/or provide references to cite!

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 4D Wiki entry
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:54:54 am »
As much I'd love to have 4D on Wikipedia, I honestly don't think that it's possible.

There seems to be a small group there, who have taken as their personal crusade to wipe out all textmuds that try. Severals of those had a lot bigger pbase than we do.
The flamewars about this, for instance on TMS, have been pretty nasty.

Just to give one example; I doubt that articles on the subject of Textmuds posted on a site for Textmuds would even count as a reference.

We could try, of course, but don't get your hopes up too high. I've seen several much bigger muds try and get erased for their trouble.

One possible reference however could be that we are one of rather few Muds who got an "Official" revue on TMC. At least THEY are on Wiki... :P

Offline Pix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:54:59 am »
We could always try, no harm done if it gets removed. For example, look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_mud.

They have the unofficial backing of Terry Pratchett, but I wonder what would happen if say works of fiction were quoted as well, several players (if prominent enough) decide to give their real names and references *cough* Once. etc...

Offline Pix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:57:44 pm »
*Edit: Even if not, there's also http://mud.wikia.com/wiki/MUD_Wiki, which seems to lack an entry for 4 Dimensions.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:01:07 am »
*Edit: Even if not, there's also http://mud.wikia.com/wiki/MUD_Wiki, which seems to lack an entry for 4 Dimensions.

Well I agree, we should totally entry on that one. Didn't even know it existed. :)

Any volunteers for the job?

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:39:03 am »
I like this.  I'm surprised the Wikipedians delete MUD articles...  I'll try to help if I have time.

Offline Pix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:47 am »
I'm not sure whether they still delete MUD entries now though - I read the thread about Threshold, and today you can see entries like Threshold MUD, LegendMUD on Wikipedia.

Aardwolf isn't there however. Of course, the thread also says that these MUDs never had a single player come from Wikipedia...

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:37:36 pm »
I think we'd get more value for our time by posting on all the different mud boards reviews and comments like Kellan did (and you guys joined in on) on Mudconnect. http://mudconnect.com/discuss/discuss.cgi?mode=MSG&area=promotions&message=24376#24376

I think if we post this stuff consistently, once a week, and we start conversations we'll get a lot of traction. Using it to start development or design discussions would be a good example of a way to get people talking on most of these sites. For instance: 

Subject:  PvP without PK?

Have any of you guys seen a good PvP system that doesn't rely on PK? On the mud I currently play 4dimensions ( 4dimensions.org port 6000 ) where we have a "clan deeds" system. It's nice because it lets newbies compete with oldbies over zones and it doesn't involve looting and junking but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen systems like that out there?

blahblahblah, etc

Something like that can get other people replying to it, then every now and then you just puff the thread up a bit with more references to 4d. The nice thing here is even though we are whoring a little bit, we're also creating interesting conversation and may come up with a few ideas as a result of the conversation.

Offline Pix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
Only if it's done correctly. I get turned off by a lot of advertisements on forums for misc products which try to do that (unsuccessfully).

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 03:11:38 am »
Only if it's done correctly. I get turned off by a lot of advertisements on forums for misc products which try to do that (unsuccessfully).

I agree, so once a week adverts is too much.

At present we are getting great exposure on both TMC and TMS due to the Kellan's original posts, so let's not overdo it.

The best thing that happens is when someone well known in the mudworld but generally unrelated to 4D mentions us in a favourable way, like KaVir did now, and NewWorlds has done a couple of times in the past.