Author Topic: A few Pvp Ideas  (Read 22317 times)

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
A few Pvp Ideas
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:22:15 am »
Removing Whimpy from PVP fights. Make it so they have to type flee or retreat to get out of battle.

This makes it so you have to pay attention more, and keeps you from being able to spam a spell/skill and be safe knowing if you start to lose whimpy will kick in and save you.

After leaving a PVP engagement, Add a small timed period 10-30 seconds that prevents you from using any type of teleport items/spells.

People can still get away, but makes them have to rely more on knowing the zones layout, and also forces the chaser to know the layout.

I think these 2 changes will make pvp more interesting and require more effort in living and killing.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
Re: A few Pvp Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:48:33 pm »
Absolutely not. Dont want them running? Snare them. Bash them. Furthermore, the lag idea for flee spells is completely deconstructive. Highly abusable. This does not add to anything bu removing this stuff. It just makes people going PK just THAT much more unwilling to ben consider joining our world because by implementing the above, the risk of looting/junking has become too great.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:35:04 pm »
Dont want them running? Snare them. Bash them.
You can still break free of a snare, even with out trap aware. And even then having trap aware gives you a HUGE advantage of always living in a pk fight. And only 2 classes have trap aware.
Bash is just as bad, you stand up, you auto flee and can recall away safely.
Wimpy is a get out of jail free card. I can set it to half my life, And you will never kill me.

Furthermore, the lag idea for flee spells is completely deconstructive. Highly abusable.
Wheres the abuse?

the risk of looting/junking has become too great.
The WHOLE risk of joining PK is you can get junked or looted. Its pk, if you get junked you get junked. Dont want to have a risk of being junked than dont join pk. That point is clearly made in this game when you want to join PK.

PK is suppose to be about skill, there is no skill in whimpy and word of recall.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:38:40 pm by Bane »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »
wimpy is wimpy i don't see it detracting from anything. pk requires MORE skill because you have to deal with wimpy..

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:16:23 pm »
I can live with wimpy being left in, But them being able to recall right away after they flee is annoying.

PK requires no skill to live.

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:28:01 pm »
i don't see the problem, you just have to BEAT word of recall.
thats it. stop whining bane.  >:(

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:32:04 pm »
K ill pay 5 silver to the person who can kill me :).

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:15 pm »
I would like to see ways of blocking recalling.

Would be cool if casting curse on someone stopped them transporting.

Also if you could lay down zone wide effects, perhaps by invoking gods or clan ancestors or something.  For example, an invocation that takes 5-10s to complete and lays down no_recall no_teleport flags on the whole zone for a while.  There could be another for no_magic, another for no_atmosphere/underwater/desert to create temporary zone wide environments.  I think I will put this in another thread.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 12:39:32 am »
Didnt the mages have an anti-magic spot?

Btw- You can beat world of recall, you just need to be a better PKer and re-initiate combat. Cant cast it while in combat!

You are wrong about the whole point of pk being to junk/loot. Ive always believed junking is an absolute evil of it. Mobs dont do it. They can loot (if we script them to) but junking? No. It is dirty and Ive never believed in the practice, and I have been PK since I first STARTED back in 1997.

Pk is about out skillig the other guy. Period. That is how it has always been. Though our system is vastly imbalanced concerning PK. But that is whT pk is about. Out skilling(typing) thr next guy. Plain and simple.

You are right about trap aware jaros, but it does not work all of the time. I DO think we need an interrupt skill like say "sucker punch" (haha subskill idea, mine, you cant have it) that could stop something like that. Why not? Ill see about balancing it out and submit as a subskill and see where it takes us.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 02:57:49 am »
I would like to see ways of blocking recalling.

Would be cool if casting curse on someone stopped them transporting.

Also if you could lay down zone wide effects, perhaps by invoking gods or clan ancestors or something.  For example, an invocation that takes 5-10s to complete and lays down no_recall no_teleport flags on the whole zone for a while.  There could be another for no_magic, another for no_atmosphere/underwater/desert to create temporary zone wide environments.  I think I will put this in another thread.

Hmm, maybe we could use the deeds for this?
I.e.  if your Clan holds the deed to the zone you are in, you can cast the curse or invoke the Gods or whatever, to make the entire zone !Recall.

That would mean another incentive to collect deeds, and then choose your ground for PK fights.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:57:20 am »
Btw- You can beat world of recall, you just need to be a better PKer and re-initiate combat. Cant cast it while in combat!
That's a ridiculous statement. I can flee while snared and without trap aware almost every time. You won't see which direction I go in. Recall is a two-letter alias.  There is no way you can follow me and attack before I cast it if that's what I want to do.

I don't care about wimpy but I'd like to see ways of actually making it hard for people to escape.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 04:01:42 am »
Molly I like the sound of that a lot  :D

Deeds = zone wide effects!  Woop

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 04:19:56 am »
Yeah, I think it might be interesting.

Especially if a Clan member of your opponent steals the deed while you are in mid-combat, thereby sudenly reversing the conditions.

Muahaha...

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 04:38:18 am »
That's a ridiculous statement. I can flee while snared and without trap aware almost every time. You won't see which direction I go in. Recall is a two-letter alias.  There is no way you can follow me and attack before I cast it if that's what I want to do.

I don't care about wimpy but I'd like to see ways of actually making it hard for people to escape.

Jaros> So you're saying, without trap aware you can STILL flee? Sounds like a a bug problem to me. Furthermore, if you play on real PK muds, you would know how to follow rather quickly. I'm a bit concerned why such a big was not reported (hand in the cookie jar huh?) Anytime I find a bug, it is reported, AND noted. I don't play around (oxymoron, I know haha) and neither should you (well you should play, just not with bugs. System can't improve without OUR help)

Now, Bane asked how it could be abuseable to !recall once you've been in a PK battle and flee out. Guess he forgot about ranged combat. That would initiate the stupid !recall anytime.

As for it being a clan deed idea...... Neato idea, but there problem is is the fact that deeds can change hands roughly 80 times within 10 minutes.

Now I wouldn't mind "invoking the Gods", or "Calling the Army" kinda deal at all to !recall specific owned zones, but it should come with a heavy price. Time to start rolling out those clan tokens. What? No tokens? Suddenly we see people questing again. Just saying, let's get the 4D economy rolling for once.

I want people to understand that I speak with veteran PVP mud experience here. The issue is not with fighting, and recalling. It is as much a part of strategy as anything else, but I want to point some things out to you.

1) Healing potions got nerfed hardcore to put emphasis on priests. Nobody groups. And most CERTAINLY nobody really PKs much. And who the hell plays a priest anymore? You need to bring heals back to their old ways.
2) Healing WANDS got nerfed hardcore. See above. The same applies.
3) The PK system is hugely out of balance. You are dealing Player to MOB damage. Not Player to Player. PVP dmg on real PVP muds is scaled differently. It is a totally different system. We are NOT a PVP centered MUD. That is why we have the problems that we have.
4) To bring in deeds for PK (which was the original intent by Sonya as this was her brain child), deed gathering requires an "ownership lag". Each clan should own the deed for a minimum of 24-48 hours. Furthermore, the proposed "area bonus system" of which I am not against mind you, can and must ONLY be available to PVP. This means the following:
      a) System of be enacted by PVP player ONLY
      b) PVP Player must be a CL or CCL of said clan.
         2b) Or, Any PVP clannie can enact system, but it only effects his/her status vs. other PVPer
      c) System must cost at least a silver. You are being given a GREAT advantage that outright imbalances the system entirely.
5) We need a complete skill/spell overhaul. Balancing needs to happen, and real player strategy needs to occur for once in my long run here. Just sayin'
6) Calling in the Gods thingy, or whatever must have a reasonable time limit. Expensive, but short. There is a price for everything, and if YOU want that advantage over people you better be willing to cough it up.
7) Fix vampy already. This is stupid that it doesn't work anymore and hasn't for a very long time. Really. It needs to get fixed, and put back into full working order. There is no excuse for this.

-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 04:40:44 am »
Didnt the mages have an anti-magic spot?

As Jaros said you cant beat world of recall, I can set it to trigger and you will never beat it.

You are wrong about the whole point of pk being to junk/loot. Ive always believed junking is an absolute evil of it. Mobs dont do it. They can loot (if we script them to) but junking? No. It is dirty and Ive never believed in the practice, and I have been PK since I first STARTED back in 1997.

I said the RISK of being pk is you can get junked or be looted. I didn't say that was the point of going pk.

Pk is about out skillig the other guy. Period. That is how it has always been. Though our system is vastly imbalanced concerning PK. But that is whT pk is about. Out skilling(typing) thr next guy. Plain and simple.
There is still no skill in living on here. Sure theres skill in killing people, but theres none in living. How often do you see someone kill someone else whos close or if not better equipped.

On the deeds its an interesting concept, Ive always wanted to see owning a zone to give you some kind of perk other then exp bonus

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:42:39 am by Bane »