Author Topic: Evening out the EXP to next level.  (Read 9038 times)

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
Evening out the EXP to next level.
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:14:15 am »
Something that has always annoyed me is how easy is it to gain the early levels. I can kill one mob at level 1 and gain 10-15 levels right off the bat.

levels are easy come easy go up to around level 40, and then they dont get extremely to long till 45-50. Is there any way we can even out the exp too next level more through the early levels, and maybe get away or reduce massive leveling jumping. Adjusting the equation cant be that complicated.

Example for level 1-2 I need 5200 exp
for level 49-50 I need 783798360 exp

Thats a big jump.

Also is it possible to post the equation?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Evening out the EXP to next level.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:43:54 pm »
Why?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:47:17 pm »
Ok I'll elaborate:

You can get 10-15 levels right off the bat if you're a GM and have just remorted again and kill a level 100 mob for 15mill exp...

Have you ever seen a newbie get that many levels in one kill? Some of your other suggestions seem to be framed in a way that you're trying to help newbies, how would altering the equation - if you intend that the same overall TNL will still apply - in a way that makes it harder to get the first few levels than it is now, and easier to get the last few levels than it is now, be a benefit to ANYONE except highly remorted players who are sick of losing motivation at around level 47..

The curve is a pretty standard gaming curve, things are easy as you get started, and harder as you progress.

Offline Zsijn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »
just looking at my tier 3 remort...

level 1-40 is 2billion exp
40-remort is another 2billion exp

instead of backloading it so heavy can it get shifted so theres some more in the 1-40 range?  ie

1-40 2.75 billion
40-remort 1.25billion

just spread it out a bit more so its not so back loaded in exp

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:09 pm »
Why?

I can level jump as a new player, go kill a dove in Old Yorke.

And newbie school is being redone to help with getting the levels. The jumping of levels whenever period of game it may be; start or end, Looks horrible and shotty.

The exp is just as back heavy to a GM just as it is to a tier 1 0 remort player.

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
One thing you have not considered is that when a certain skill/spell is attained, it makes killing significantly easier. So if you try to spread the xp load around more evenly, it does NOT necessarily make levelling even. In fact, it may make it much longer to level at the lower levels than at the higher levels.

Also bear in mind, even if you do not gain any new skills or spells, your attack, defence, etc do go up. Changing tiers makes a significant difference as well, gaining a huge speed boost.

Other than that, we already know the system is horribly unbalanced anyways.

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:31 pm »
Changing tiers makes a significant difference as well, gaining a huge speed boost.

Tiers have nothing to do with any of this. The exp total to remort will remain the same.

Dont assume, I have considered that it will delay on how fast you get spells and skills. Yes its going to take a little more effort into leveling through the early stages. Which IT SHOULD. you should not be able to become big and strong so quickly.

Our current system is unrealistic and this is something that never gets mentioned and as it is, its horrible and tacky. It makes the mud look bad.

If you are that worried about how hard its going to make it then adjust level req or removing the level requirement for skills and having a tier requirement only. Which I planned on proposing this idea with removing level requirement on skills but I decided against it.

I believe the attack and defense for each level is fine. I could be mistaken but I dont think that the gains are in any huge ammount, to make a real huge difference. It might make people have to go find new hunting grounds and bring life to unused zones.

If I am wrong then please give me more information.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:27:34 am »
Level 42 has always been the midpoint in a remort, and I legitimately have never, ever heard anyone complain about it.

I simply don't see the point changing it if you want the overall TNL to stay as it is..

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 02:00:21 pm »
Just because you haven't heard people complain doesn't mean its not horrendous.

And actually you heard Zsjin complain, you argument is invalid :D.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »
Explain to me why it makes the mud look bad.

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 06:55:50 pm »
Because the leveling system just about goes against every other game that has a leveling system to it.

What other game do you raise so quickly?

Your first remort is the only time our leveling system is really normal. After that its crap.

And since you want to know why, I want know why you think its fine.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:10 pm »
On reflection, it would probly be good..