Author Topic: Clan Treasury  (Read 7566 times)

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clan Treasury
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:55 am »
What do you think of allowing people to upgrade their clan halls with their clan treasury? We have no use for clan treasury

Maybe allow small changes to be done with gold rather then tokens for clan halls.

Room improvement/New Rooms, New Mobs, certain scripts, upgrading mob levels, Standard equipment/potions?

also guild buffs can be purchased with clan treasury. Str/speed/cha/damage/exp/regen buffs that last x days. Buffs that are not buffs that you can currently get in game.

Bigger more complex scripts crashproof rooms would still be tokens only.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Clan Treasury
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:19 am »
I am not against upgrading of Clanhalls per se, what I am against is allowing the Clanmembers themselves to do the actual upgrading.
Why?
Because it creates a lot of unnecessary work for the Staff, in this case mainly me, since I am the one ultimately responsible for checking the zones.

First the zone has to be lifted out of this Port and into 6002. And since 6002 doesn't normally contain more than a select few of the zones, this usually leads to problems with exits and reset. If the vnum or the exit, object, mob or script doesn't exist in 6002, the code will just delete the item, and send an error the first time. After that, there is no trace that the thing even existed in the zone, and since the new files always override the old ones this fault will be transferred to 6000, once the zone is put back in. And since we have so many zones, it might be extremely hard to track down the missing stuff, and you'll end up having unknowingly damaged your Clanhall.

Second, no zone ever goes into 6000, without first being thoroughly checked  for building errors, typos and "cheat objects". I'm not saying that any of you would cheat, but the temptation to try a fast one would be extra big when it comes to your own Clanhall. And even the remote possibility that someone might take the chance, means that I have to go through every object and reset in the zone, which is both boring and time consuming.

What it all boils down to is that it is probably faster and less aggravating to have one of the regular Staff do the changes in this Port. This means that you have to submit all descs, and also any script you want added, and then the Staff will do the actual building work in Port 6000.

That, among other things  is what affects the price for updates.

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:01:29 am »
I didnt mean to let players do themselves but to sumbit the changes to an imm and let paid with gold rather than tokens. I re read what i wrote and i worded it wrong

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:24:03 am »
With the new arti system coming in clan halls are going to be open up to the public and will also require new defences. I figured some people want to freshen up their old clan hall and give it a new look for other people to see. And I thought using gold would be a fair payment system across the board for all the clans, considering some of the smaller more inactive clans dont have as many people as others that can help donate tokens and such.

I figured a list of easy scripts could be listed that can be paid with gold. along with rooms mobs and maybe items?

It also could just be a one timer offer..

I would rather it not be a one time offer, but i could live with it. DJS currently have 42billion gold or something like that in our guild treasury with nothing to spend it on.

The guild buffs idea was just something to create a money hole. If im not making sense i apologize Im half asleep and cant fall asleep.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:31:30 am by Bane »

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:25:17 am »
I've just got the following note from Kvetch about Clanhalls and !teleport.
Since it is of common interest, I'm lifting it up to the Forum:

"Just wondering about the fact that some clan halls (DJ, Vamp at least) have
their clanhalls !teleportin while others (Sics, Chaos, Vikings - at least)
don't.  Is there an extra cost to the flag or was it maybe an oversight when
some of the clans were built.  With the new deed system it is becoming a problem
when some clans are !teleportin while others are - and thus people can teleport
into them and steal the deeds.

Let me know what's going on and I'll get back to those that brought it up to me.
Kvetch
"

I think that most Clans have the !teleport in flag set on the entire zone in ZEDIT, not in REDIT on each room. (At least that goes for Sics, Chaos, Vikings and TR, I haven't checked all of them).

Historically all Clanhalls were originally built by the Clanleader who started the Clan.
Not all of them may have thought of the !teleport in flag, or didn't think it important. (It has probably something to do with how friendly or aggressive the Clan is).
Other Clans were pretty paranoid, and put eviction scripts on all key rooms, to get rid of any non clan member immediately, whichever way they got in. The worst in that aspect was Chaos, who had their script even evict immortals. (I changed that, because it got extremely irritating to be thrown out every time I was asked to check or change something in their Clanhall, but it still evicts all mortals, and I think Sicilians have something similar).

It's possible however, that there is some code bug, so that setting the !teleport on both the entire zone in zedit and on individual rooms in redit  might somehow "erase" the flag on those rooms that have both flags. (I'm not sure how the code works in that aspect, but when it comes to for instance player flags like !gos,  retyping it the command changes the flag back).
Perhaps one of the coders can respond to that?

Now if there really IS a problem with people teleporting into Clanhalls, I don't think we should charge any extra fee for those Clans that would like a !teleport in flag added. It seems a reasonable precaution to stop others from cluttering their Clan boards, and with the changes going in, it becomes part of the protection system.
However, with all the players teleporting all over the world, how often, if ever, have any of you teleported into Clanhalls? Does it really happen?

Seriously, my belief is that if any Clan has problems with intruders, you should first check the loyalty of your Clan members. It wouldn't be the first time that someone made an alt to become a member of a Clan with malignant intentions, and then summoned some buddy in to make nuisance.

In that case maybe a better precaution would be a !summon in flag set in zedit.
However, there are cases when you might want to actually INVITE someone to a Clanhall, for instance to show a a prospective new member around.
It's a choice you have to make, but sometimes being too paranoid deprives you of some social fun, so think well before you make it. :)

Offline thotter

• Lord Of All Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:38:06 am »
It's possible however, that there is some code bug, so that setting the !teleport on both the entire zone in zedit and on individual rooms in redit  might somehow "erase" the flag on those rooms that have both flags. (I'm not sure how the code works in that aspect, but when it comes to for instance player flags like !gos,  retyping it the command changes the flag back).
Perhaps one of the coders can respond to that?
The code does not work this way. If the flag is either set on the room or the zone, players won't be able to use the teleport spell to get in. Similarly, when !summon_in is set, players can't summon anyone into that zone/room.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:41:39 am »
I swear teleport tends to take me to 'cheat' / 'buggy' rooms more often than not. There were always clanhalls like Dragons you could simply teleport into, or be summoned into, or gate into regularly enough that you could incorporate it into a plan.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 06:58:30 am »
I swear teleport tends to take me to 'cheat' / 'buggy' rooms more often than not. There were always clanhalls like Dragons you could simply teleport into, or be summoned into, or gate into regularly enough that you could incorporate it into a plan.

Are you sure, Virisin?
How long ago was that?

! checked the Dragon's Clan hall, and it is set in zedit as !teleport in, !summon in.
But that could of course be a late fix, there's no way for me to see WHEN the flags were put there.

I also just found and removed a backdoor to the Sicilian Clanhall.

Thotter suggested Wedding rings, so we are checking the scripts of those now, to see if they can override a !teleport flag, but I don't think they can.

Those of you that do use teleport and wedding rings, please report if you end up in any of the Clanhalls.
However, I still believe that the intrusions are caused by something else than teleporting.

Personally I still think that you should look for Trojan horses among our members.
And no, before you ask; The Staff will NOT tell you if any of your members is an alt, you'd have to find that out on your own. That's one of our privacy policies, to not reveal the isp adresses of players.
Also I think that those longterm infiltration plots are part of the fun, and far be it from me to destroy the fun. :P

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 09:23:12 am »
OK, here's an update.

It turns out that the %teleport% command in DG_scripts does override the !TELEPORT IN flag on rooms.
This command is used in a lot of Quest scripts, where the override is necessary, but since these scripts generally teleports the player to one specific room, they are no problem.

Neither are return items like the Return Wand, since they just take you back to a room you already visited, nor the teleport wands, since those use the teleport spell, and not the command..

However the Wedding rings are a problem, since the script on those allows you to enter any room that your spouse is in.
So to fix this Thotter has added a new variable to the DG_scripts code:

if %room.no_teleport_in%

And Kvetch has promised to go through the wedding rings tonight, and put an if_check on their scripts.

Thanks to both Thotter and Kvetch for fixing this longtime bug.

If any of you know of any other item that transports you to a random room, please let us know.