Author Topic: Skills & Spells Suggestions  (Read 12954 times)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Skills & Spells Suggestions
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:11:41 pm »
With the skill tree additions there are going to be quite a few skills and spells added or changed/removed. I'll give you all some examples and then you can post what spells you've always wanted. :-*

'Wall of force' will create a wall of magic blocking a room exit. Another mage with a higher rank dispel magic than the original mages rank in wall of force will be able to remove it.

'Pass wall' will allow someone to move through certain walls/doors without opening or otherwise being able to beforehand.

'Melt metal' will burn armour type equipment until it is so hot it needs to be removed. It will be like a disarm except for armour type equipment rather than weapons. Armour will end up in player inventory.

'Disarm' will knock weapons to the ground rather than into inventories.

'Clone' will be changed so that if you are high enough rank in 'clone' you will be able to control the clone like a remote control car.

'Darkness' spell will darken a room and no light source will penetrate it.

'Light' will dispel it, so will a high enough rank of 'dispel magic'. 'Light' will also blind people with infravision.

'Floating disc' will create a flat disc that follows players around and allows them to put objects on it.

'Create water' at a high enough rank will cause a whole room to flood washing people into adjacent rooms or bashing them to the ground. As well as extinguishing any fires in that room.

'Fireball' of a high enough rank will have a chance of burning outside rooms and creating forest fires, etc. Once a room is burning there is a chance adjoining rooms will catch alight. A room on fire might cause damage to mobs or players in it. It could also turn the room description red.

'Wall of thorns' will be like 'wall of force' only instead of blocking an exit, it will hurt anyone that uses the exit.

There will be various types of traps for thieves created, entry or exit traps, timered traps, trigger traps.
etc. Think trip wires and stuff. Traps could target single or multiple players/mobs, they could be explosion type traps to damage or holding type traps to snare, etc.

Now it's your turn. Think up some skills or spells you'd like added.

Offline Britnoth

• View Profile
Re: Skills & Spells Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:43:25 am »

'Wall of force' will create a wall of magic blocking a room exit. Another mage with a higher rank dispel magic than the original mages rank in wall of force will be able to remove it.

Sounds quite abusable if you meet someone without dispel magic in a !recall room. Considering how imms disliked people using the pit I dont see them wanting this?  ::)

'Pass wall' will allow someone to move through certain walls/doors without opening or otherwise being able to beforehand.

I guess this will only be used for doors that are pickable anyway... so its just another vesion of knock. Also, walls? You understand how rooms are built right? You cannot just magically create an exit and link it up to where it 'should' line up elsewhere, as rooms are not strictly built on a grid system.

'Melt metal' will burn armour type equipment until it is so hot it needs to be removed. It will be like a disarm except for armour type equipment rather than weapons. Armour will end up in player inventory.

Not all armour is metal... and not all items worn are even armour. Not sure if this is really going to make much difference anyway? Don't we have curse armor or other debuffs already..

'Disarm' will knock weapons to the ground rather than into inventories.

Odd change... I know a mud that started with disarm like this and went to it staying in inventory to avoid abuse from stealing disarmed items.....

'Clone' will be changed so that if you are high enough rank in 'clone' you will be able to control the clone like a remote control car.

Good change.

'Darkness' spell will darken a room and no light source will penetrate it.

Sounds good. I take it this will not work outside.

'Light' will dispel it, so will a high enough rank of 'dispel magic'. 'Light' will also blind people with infravision.

Hmm, 'light' spell blids peple with infranvision? Nonsense. light is light, infravision is infra red, which is commonly called HEAT.

'Floating disc' will create a flat disc that follows players around and allows them to put objects on it.

Um, like an inventory? Object or mob? Sounds interesting, not sure how practical it will be.

'Create water' at a high enough rank will cause a whole room to flood washing people into adjacent rooms or bashing them to the ground. As well as extinguishing any fires in that room.

'Fireball' of a high enough rank will have a chance of burning outside rooms and creating forest fires, etc. Once a room is burning there is a chance adjoining rooms will catch alight. A room on fire might cause damage to mobs or players in it. It could also turn the room description red.

This sounds like a major coding project in itself...

'Wall of thorns' will be like 'wall of force' only instead of blocking an exit, it will hurt anyone that uses the exit.

Sounds abusable in some situations... similar to wall of force.

There will be various types of traps for thieves created, entry or exit traps, timered traps, trigger traps.
etc. Think trip wires and stuff. Traps could target single or multiple players/mobs, they could be explosion type traps to damage or holding type traps to snare, etc.

Again could be abusable like wall of thorns.. it depends how its implemented.

Id rather existing spells be fixed to actually do stuff myself..  ???

"I don't like having rules that cannot be enforced, that just makes people lose respect for all rules." - Molly

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:19:54 am »

Sounds quite abusable if you meet someone without dispel magic in a !recall room. Considering how imms disliked people using the pit I dont see them wanting this?  ::)

I really want to know if you just want to show everyone how superior your intellect is and whether you even spend time thinking carefully of what others have to say, instead of just listening to your own voice. This particular spell is very short lived, and is really designed for the caster to flee his attacker, whether it be a hunting mob or another pker.

I guess this will only be used for doors that are pickable anyway... so its just another vesion of knock. Also, walls? You understand how rooms are built right? You cannot just magically create an exit and link it up to where it 'should' line up elsewhere, as rooms are not strictly built on a grid system.

No, this is NOT a spell like knock. See the title, its called pass wall, I know the name isnt that fancy, but really, its called pass wall for a reason. And yes, I understand zones arent built into a grid system, thanks for explaining that to me.

Not all armour is metal... and not all items worn are even armour. Not sure if this is really going to make much difference anyway? Don't we have curse armor or other debuffs already..

Brilliant again. Sheesh, why would a mage cast melt armour on someone wearing leather armour? And yes, the idea is it affects large pieces of equipment, so that it isnt abusable. Isnt that what you like? Things that are not abusable? Thanks again for pointing out the obvious. Gee, melt metal doesnt affect non-metal armour, oh dear!

Hmm, 'light' spell blids peple with infranvision? Nonsense. light is light, infravision is infra red, which is commonly called HEAT.

Great, thanks for telling us what infravision means. How do you know if the light spell source isnt heat based? How do you know it isnt bright in the red hues?

This sounds like a major coding project in itself...

I am sure you understanding coding intimately and so you know how much effort is required into coding these features. Otherwise, why would you make a comment right?

Sounds abusable in some situations... similar to wall of force.

Again could be abusable like wall of thorns.. it depends how its implemented.

Yes, it all depends on how its implemented, and I really have no clue on how to implement it properly so it works well, perhaps you can all help us out with your brilliance.

Id rather existing spells be fixed to actually do stuff myself..  ???

Existing spells and skills are ALL THE SAME with different names. Comments like this do not contribute to anything. Get over yourself. What we have asked for are NEW ideas on NEW SPELLS AND SKILLS that you think will be cool to implement. There are examples here that show spells that affect rooms - I'd like to have more creativity in this area.

Offline Britnoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:45:45 am »
Well after abusing my clan you have another rant here.

If you are really that uninterested in any feedback, then just go ahead and implement whatever you damn well feel like, like you always planned to.

*stops reading the forum*  :-*
"I don't like having rules that cannot be enforced, that just makes people lose respect for all rules." - Molly

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:11:29 am »

Actually that's not true at all. Horus has it right. If someone is using infravision and a great light is cast, then it caqn in fact cause temporary blindness. Such are and have always been the rules of DnD concerning infravision. The same can occure when a character is wearing nothing but powerful magic items, and you cast detect magic. you'll be blinded by the sudden glowing magical items assaulting your retinas.

The floating disc thing is commonly used actually, and is a good idea to finally imp.
Wall of thorns is a great idea. Should create a timer on it tho, and not have it last TOO long. It should also be coded to deal dmg based upon a characters HP so that it doesn't get abused against newbies.

Darkness is a great spell idea! I'm very pleased with it. I think it should do a negative to all character combat stats for everyone in the magically darkened room, including the caster. This is great because then you could bring in the blind fighting skill for rogues.

Also, darkness since it is magical should work in both outside and inside places. It only effects a single room, so this would make sense, and does in fact fall in the the classic DnD rules behind the darkness spells.

The clone change, awesome. I like it. Can we also get rid of the "Boring old clone" for higher ranks? If Viri has a high rank clone abilty, I expect to see an exact clone of him, and not know the difference.

Thieves traps, I like it. I'd love to see pitfall, caltrops, trip wire, and so on. MMMm traps.

melt metal is a great idea. It's usually called HEAT Metal though. but anyway, the idea is the same. good add. For wooden objects you should bring in WARP WOOD, and for cloth I would say make one called SODDEN (soak and wet). SODDEN would create a lot of weight problems for the characters causing them to slow down, and warp wood could destroy wooden weapon balancing, and woodem armor shape (no longer can be warn).

Pass wall is a great idea, it's usually called pass door, but hey. Whatever :) I think it would be a great add since you could run through locked doors while someone is chasing your ass, including nasty green dragons.

as a side note we need WAY less !pick doors.

Light spell is a great balance for darkness.
------------

All around, I think they're great ideas Horus.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:35:19 am »
I said the Saints clan women are themed on being sluts and whores, dominatrixes etc. I was being serious, and not being insulting. Sheesh, ask around and see what everyone thinks being a Saint is. Hell, I was a Saint for a while too.

Again, your warped view of the world never ceases to amaze me.

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:30:45 am »
Good idea, the higher the rank, the more accurate the clone will be. So, I will try to put in some random inconsistencies for lower ranked clone spell.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:29:29 pm »
Well after abusing my clan you have another rant here.

If you are really that uninterested in any feedback, then just go ahead and implement whatever you damn well feel like, like you always planned to.

*stops reading the forum*  :-*

No one said feedback was unwanted, but when your feedback s not constructive, then yes, it is not wanted. Get the picture?

You did not ask questions regarding the spells you decided could be abusable. What you did, albeit poorly, was attempt to make them sound stupid by condemning them.

In regards to your clan, we do not lose our right to have opinions when we become imms. Especially not ones that are so, well, obvious. I mean FFS, the clans item is a god damned whip and you're going to get offended when it is said that the majority of the clan is made up of females roleplaying as dominatrixes?

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »
I love you Fizzy
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:38:15 pm »
Um all can we please not get abusive here. That includes administrators. So can we leave the clan and other topics out of this. And can we please stay on topic. *mutters*

Prometheus

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:05:50 am »
Britnoth started it. :-X

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 02:38:23 am »
All of you had better stop it. :(

Another piece of History for you:
The Saint's Clan was started as a joke by the uncomparable Cali, based on a so called "Furry-Mud" that she and another 4D imm sometimes played for fun.
Cali was a great friend of mine, a great Builder in 4D, a great roleplayer, and she also had a great sense of humour.
Others have followed in her footsteps, and traditionally female Saints have always roleplayed Dominatrixes and male Saints have always roleplayed either slaves or bodyguards.

It's all in good fun, everyone has always known that, and everybody has always been fine with it, as far as I know.
I'd hate to see that change. Notice the words "fun" and "joke" and "humour"?

So, let's try to stay on topic, shall we?

What was it again? Oh yes, Skills & Spells Suggestions.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:51:17 am »
Ok, I'm pulling out my D&D 3.5 books again to see if we can get this topic back on track.  Looking for anything out of the ordinary that I think would be cool to have in 4D.

Cleric
[D&D]"Deathwatch: Reveals how near death subjects within 30 feet are."
[4D]  Deathwatch will let a cleric know when someone has fallen below (x) hitpoints.  X is decided by the cleric when they cast the spell.  So, the cleric casts deathwatch 200 and anyone in the same room (or maybe in the same group) that falls below 200, a message would be sent to the cleric that <character name> has fallen under deathwatch (or something). and thus they can heal that player.

Cleric
[D&D]"Hide from Undead: Undead can't perceive one subject/level"
[4D] Hide from Undead will give the person it's cast on the ability to be invisible to the undead monsters for x amount of time.  X being based off the caster's level/rank in the spell.  If you attacked undead creature, this spell would become null and you would be visible to all of the undead again.

- I would like to make undead more dangerous in the upcoming change which is why I like the idea of something of the above.  Of course, if you're invisible to an undead quest mob, they're not going to give you the quest. 

Cleric
[D&D] "Consecrate: Fills area with positive energy making undead weaker."
[4D] Same

Cleric
[D&D] "Desecrate: Fills area with negative energy making undead stronger."
[4D] Same

The above could be useful if we really decide to do necromancers (I know, I've been asked to do skills for them, though that may change with the new system) - they could desecrate areas to make their minions stronger.  Other people could try to Consecrate to make them weaker.  I would say if an area is already consecreated, it can't be desecreated.  Either that or, since we're doing ranks/ the higher rank wins over the lower rank spell.

Just a couple of ideas to get the subject going again.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:13:02 am »
This next one I suggest only if we're going to have seperate race languages - like, I guess we do now but no-one uses them.

[D&D] "Tongues: Speak any language"
[4D] Same