Author Topic: Credit given where credit is due.  (Read 24470 times)

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
Credit given where credit is due.
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:48:46 pm »
Once and I have had our disagreements over the last decade or so, but I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks. The mud is seemingly thriving again, and I daresay it's largely because of Once and his efforts. He pulled some oldbies back over to 4D, he brought in the deeds - which has made things more competitive and enjoyable for players, he's working on other changes to enhance what 4D already is (Brilliant!), working on things like artifacts in 4d, etc. He's done a lot, let's just say that. Despite knowing he is a manipulative jerk :p, you have to hand it to him - he's a GOOD manipulative jerk. And if you're gonna do something, you may as well do it to the best of your ability.

What he seems to do in 4D, however I may disagree at times, does seem to be working, and it's really freaking awesome to see so many people actually playing again, rather than 3-5 people idling in recall.

I say all this because it wasn't like this a month or so a go when I came back again. It was still dead quiet. But somehow, almost overnight, the mud's alive again.

This rocks. Credit given where credit is due, and to everyone who's involved in reviving 4D - all the work you're doing, all the IMMs, it's not going unnoticed!

/endnicepost.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Credit given where credit is due.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:20:16 am »
I agree, both the present inflow of players and getting the confirmed Recall squatters back into actually playing, are  very much a result of Once's efforts.

But while we are giving credit where credit is due, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the handful of faithful players, who actually stayed on during the bad years, and logged on almost every day, even though the Port was almost empty. Those few are the real reason why we kept the Mud open and running. :)

Today one of our newcomers, Arturen, suggested to me that we should make a special plaque in the Hall of Fame for all those who have played 4D for more than 10 years and who are still here. I told him it would be next to impossible, because it's hard to remember everybody over the years, and many have also been playing under different names.

But on second thought it might not be impossible, if everybody chips in with nominees.
The requirements would be:
- Started playing 2001 or earlier
- More than 10 active years
- Still active today

(I'm not quite sure how to define active, however. Maybe being on line at least 3 hours a week, or  logging in more than a couple of minutes at least 5 times a week)?

So, feel free to post your nominees on this thread, but be prepared also to have the names challenged by others, so some verification might be needed.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:00 am »
I think we should lower the bar to 5 years. Us true oldies are great and all but I only really kept coming around because of the current crop of former newbs being so interesting ;). I mean, Jaros, asmo, Viri, Toch, Natalya and I can only have so much conversation.

People like Kito, Sarias, Graham, Syn, and Thotter are really what've made this mud worth continuing to play and work on. Give them the plaque. Apologies for all the people I probably left out.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:26 pm »
You left out Xeriuth, Jason, Fiachra, Mardo, Angel, Alpha, Estidn, Erwin, Zsijn, Stile, Asmoday, Tamica, Kita, Riley, Caty, Candy, Loran and probably a lot more.

Not sure how many of them that have been here for 10+ years though.

It's late so I cannot think straight...

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:41:29 pm »
Part of that list aren't even at the 10 year mark period, much less 10 active years. The players who've kept the game fresh should be rewarded alongside the oldies otherwise it's just ancient navel gazing. We should approach it from the dynamic of "what do we want to encourage?". What is the value we're trying to drive?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »
I have almost played for 18 years now non-stop.. One day I will learn how to log out.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:46:56 pm »
That's an inflation of the truth you scoundrel.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »
Also you all forgot Himelas.  probably because he changes his name every fortnight.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 02:01:48 am »
The players who've kept the game fresh should be rewarded alongside the oldies

The ones that I really wanted to reward were those that stayed on during the lean years. Logging on when the port is almost empty takes some dedication. :)

But I was actually kidding about the plaque, it would be too hard to sort out who was here when.

I wish there were a way to put everybody's name on a plaque.
The players are really what makes a Mud.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:23:08 am »
dibs on statue at recall

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:32 am »
Just have himelas/palathas/kellindil/temes/etc put you in his title. You'll practically be a recall statue.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:18 am »
is himelas/palathas/kellindil/temes the same person  :-[

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:27:37 am »
Yep

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:25 am »
dibs on statue at recall

There are already too many statues at Recall, with all the idlers. No room there for any more decorations.

At times we've been thinking about turning all the idlers into real stone, however. :P

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:35 am »
I think I'm the only Oldbie now that doesn't have a statue in the HOF.

But then again, I don't think I've done anything truely epic to warrant it. I went from being a stupid kid, to being afk, to coming back, to being afk, to trying to roleplay, to going afk, to trying again now. I've been here for 13 years going on 14 now, but I've had my time off too... *shrug* Similar to Virisin :p He's been here forever, but he's had a few years off here and there too, I think most have.

As for a plaque, it may be too hard to accomplish. It'd have to be kept simple somehow if it were to be achieved at all, IE maybe break down a list of players in 5+ and 10+ year categories.

But yeah, agree with Molly. Not sure if it's worth the effort, we have a HOF, and there's many other things we could be working on :)

Also, since when has Mardo been here for over a decade? I don't remember him back then at all.
But, I spose my memory isn't fantastic - we all know that, heh. I also don't remember himelas from over a decade ago either.

But I'm talking about the days of Soulstar, Omega, Zsijn, Chuckslam, etc etc...

Doubly also, we forgot Asmodeus. I'm not 100% sure on how long he's been around, but it's at least at the 5+ years mark.

Also did someone mention Toch too? He's another oldbie.. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:46:35 am by Natalya B. »