Author Topic: PK  (Read 47960 times)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: PK
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 12:27:10 am »
If it gets too complicated it'll just become the system we have now.. I think Mord's idea would actually work. All the other ideas mentioned just lead to either tier 1's attacking tier 4's for points, or tier 4's attacking tier 1's for points.. Or whatever other possibilities..

Not that anyone attacks anyone these days, we all sit at recall.. But in theory. :D

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 02:57:57 pm »
if we say that every day over a 3 month period (90 days) is worth 1 point, and then average out your actual points in combination with those.
You will end up with a balanced value this way that isn't skewed for people who only have killed one thing.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 03:02:02 pm »
Even nicer would be to add in the equation some points awarded even to who lost in the fight.
Like if a tier2 attacks a tier4 and loses, he's awarded some PK points for bravery. That'll encourage players to PK at low tier.
And a Tier4 winning over a Tier2 will lose PK points, to descourage them from fighting low tiers.

We can't have negitive points or points for losing, because negitive points will put us back where we are now.
And points for losing is open for abuse.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 01:09:45 am »
Ok, seeing as it seems Mord has a good idea for PK points, I'm gonna slightly derail this conversation with a seperate discussion, about PK:

Looting/junking/saccing/whatever..

I'm just wondering how many people would be opposed to removing looting all together. After recent events, I've grown to severely dislike that nature of PK. I know PK should come with consequences, but I've decided looting just allows too much power to go to the players. And obviously some players arn't mature enough to handle the power. I actually think more cool features could be added to PK if there was no looting or anything involved..

First of all, I just want to know what people think, if people agree, I might start mentioning some new ideas for PK.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 02:07:49 am »
I don't see the reason for looting / saccing / etc from player corpses here, because it seems to me that the only viable reason for doing so is for artifacts that are randomly loaded, and perhaps to junk / loot quest EQ that are once-only.

Most eq here is rather easy to get (once you know how), and it's also rather useless to loot them, as the best ones are quest flagged.

It'd be a bit silly to loot average EQ which can be replaced easily too.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 03:08:21 am »
I think looting should exist. But I also don't think most people do loot truthfully. (Nanukimo did repeatedly, but just about no one else has recently.)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 03:15:48 am »
I've always thought looting should exist.. Just the possibility. But, I don't think so anymore. One reason being because there are always players like Nanu, but mainly because I don't see the point in it anymore. And I think PK could be better without looting. Looting is only ever done in bad humour.. It's unneccessary.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 06:20:33 am »
As much as I personally dislike looting and junking, I don't think that the possibility should be removed. That would just reduce PK to another variation of the Arena.

As it is, non PK players are totally protected by the code. Going PK is a conscious choice you make, and it should have its risks as well as its benefits. That doesn't mean that you have to loot and junk everyone that you kill. And, in particular, it doesn't mean that you have to attack players who are AFK at Recall, or busy helping Newbies along.

The PK culture is set by the players themselves. There used to be an honour codex about PK in 4D. It seems to have been dragged in the dirt lately, due to the actions of a minority.
Lionheart and Alpha had the right idea in that log, posted on the Roleplayers board. It shows how PK can be done in an IC manner, and how it actually gives the opportunity for some roleplay both before and after the actual PK fight.

Of course it only takes one jerk to destroy any system - in fact it sometimes only takes one jerk to harm an entire Mud.

Violence breeds more violence, and what you do to others is usually done back to yourself, sooner or later. But generally PKillers are experienced enough players to be able to retrieve their own equipment without too much effort. The exception of that is the perzes, which can be reloaded against a fee, but only if they aren't already loaded in the game. This is why I find it particularly despicable to nick the perzes before you junk, and then keep those indefinitely in a chest in your house, to prevent them from being reloaded. But despicable as it is, I don't think that is enough reason to code away the looting option.

Pkillers will just have to learn to type 'sit', before going AFK at Recall. And my prediction is that most PKillers will add a script to all their perzes, that makes them go poof, when touched by anyone but the owner.

Of course, that means that all Pkillers will have to pay the extra fee for that script. And it also means that the 'normal' Pkillers, who might have chosen to take a perze from the corpse, with the intent of collecting the silver token for the retrieval themselves instead of the imms, will lose the opportunity of that extra income.

But that's how things usually work in a Mud. The actions of one jerk usually have repercussions on the majority of players, whether intentional or not.

My personal opinion is that you shouldn’t go PK if you lack social skills, take yourself or the game too seriously, use to antagonise half the Mud, cannot handle your anger, or don’t know how to use the IGNORE command. And that is a serious meant advice to all of you. Try to apply some self insight before taking the decision to register.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »
I like the idea of having a PK flag for zones, which is kind of like the ARENA flag for rooms.

Zone PK flag would make non PKers, killable under same rules as an area room flag does.
And for people already PK, it would allow their corpses to be lootable/junkable/unrecoverable.
And when you entered the zone, you would receive a notification that you are in an unprotected PK area.

It would allow us to put a difficulty factor on some of the zones.

Offline Hesara

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 01:27:08 pm »
I'm not sure about making zones PK.

4D is known for its restricted PK.  If you change that you'll close off zones to explore for those who don't like PK at all.  And some people don't like playing games where some parts are restricted for certain groups.

But if you go ahead with it, here's another suggestion: instead of only giving a message when someone enters a PK-zone, why not have an extra flag in the roomtitle or so.  So if someone is walking around and goes AFK or logs out, he/she should see immediately that they are in a PK-zone when they return or log back in.  Something like the ARENA-flag for the tournament places.

And how will you prevent things like players staying in a room because someone logged out in that specific room.  Just waiting for the other party to log back in and kill them unsuspectedly on the spot?

All things you should consider.
We're all around you.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 01:38:16 pm »
One thing I'd personally probably prefer, but I'm sure others will most likely disagree with loudly....no nosummon nogate notele toggles for pkill flagged players.

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 03:22:30 am »
How would this be?  You get to loot all the gold or tokens the person is carrying plus one item?  To me that would make PK fun and not so risky, or cause bad feelings that comes from a full loot.

Or, maybe there could be female pk (see above) and male pk (full loot)??
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:41:18 am by Iwku »

Leonardo

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 03:51:56 am »
PK should be a state of mind - a matter of honor and respect - beside the fun of it.
I agree that PK players would have the toggles mentioned by Fizban turned off.

PK should be risky, esle where's the fun of it - but also should not be abused to insanity
with daily junks and harassing concentred to some players.

We from the Fearless RP Group beside our group private tasks, have also a 4D-wide common taks which
is to maintain order and fairness amongst the PK players. We won't tolerate another
situation like the Nanna one nor any unjustified junk.

We have a commission of Elders where PK players can whine to and the elders will decide
to intervene or not to fix the situation in a diplomatic way at first then in any way necessary
to solve the problem caused.

Every PK player might understand that at every action corresponds a consequence.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 04:14:56 am »
Every PK player might understand that at every action corresponds a consequence.

i r gunna junk u so g00d ul cry!!11! yea, crying wul b ur consaquenc!!1 wut wul u du 2 me? nufink! i r teh uber king of mollyland! zomg!!11! hur hur hur!

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 04:32:13 am »
Shoot, I just lost my entire post.

Anyway, first...don't call him Nanna. That's totally derogatory and something I shouldn't expect from the leader of the honourable knights.  It lowers my opinion of your group. And my understanding was Nanukimo's actions in the junkings were harsh on the recipients, but were not against the rules and were totally justified.  You have no idea the crap he had to put up with.

I agree PK should be a state of mind. I posted as an afterthought maybe there could be different rules for female and male pkers.  And the more I think about it the more it makes sense.  I would like to pk for fun, some risk - that's my state of mind.  Maybe there could be different levels of pk, so just the total male alpha looters don't get all the fun and we could all have fun with it.

Anyways, cool that pkers can whine to you group.  Waht a bonus.